It may happen that an Amazon Echo device starts to fail: for example, you are blocked or you no longer detect our requests or our voice via Alexa. In these cases, if the problem is not resolved by unplugging the device from the power supply and reattaching it, you have to resort to reset (or reset).
The procedure to reset Amazon Echo is useful even if we simply want give or sell our Amazon Echo.
If you find yourself in one of these cases, in this article we will see how to effectively reset our smart smart speaker with a few simple steps.
The reset will also be useful to disconnect all the ZigBee devices used for home automation and to delete all traces of your personal data from the Echo.
Reset Amazon Echo devices
The procedure it changes according to the device and its generation, here are the instructions for each.
Reset the 3rd and 4th generation Amazon Echo Dots
The two devices look very different, but the procedure for resetting Alexa is identical.
To proceed with the recovery of Amazon Echo just:
- press the action button of the Echo for 25 seconds (it is the one with a single central dot);
- after 25 seconds, a message from the device will warn us of the reset (the light ring will turn orange and then blue, after which it will turn off and turn orange again);
- now if you connect via the Alexa app you can redo the first configuration.
Reset 2nd generation Amazon Echo Dot
This device was not officially launched in our country.
In this case, to reset it, you need to:
- press the microphone off key (the one characterized by the icon with the microphone crossed out) and the volume down key (characterized by the minus symbol) for 20 seconds;
- the orange ring will signal when the buttons can be released and the reset has taken place;
- at this point, again with the Alexa app, you can redo the first configuration.
Reset Echo Input and Echo Sub
The procedure is identical to that of the 3rd and 4th generation Echo Dot:
- press the action button on the devices (it is the one with a single central dot) for 25 seconds;
- once reached 25 seconds, the device will notify us of the reset via the light ring;
- then you can connect with the Alexa app and repeat the first configuration procedure.
Reset the Amazon Echo and Amazon Echo Plus
Even the original Echo devices, with their interesting cylindrical shape even if less common in Italy, may need to be reset.
So here is the procedure (it is identical to that of the second generation Echo Dot):
- press at the same time long on the microphone off key (the one characterized by the icon with the microphone crossed out) and up that volume down (characterized by the minus symbol) for 20 seconds;
- l’ring turned orange it will indicate when the buttons can be released and the reset has taken place;
- at this point, always with the Alexa app, you can redo the first configuration.
On the Echo Plus it is also possible to do a reset that does not delete the connection to other devices smart home.
In this case, simply press the action key (it is the one with a single central dot) for 20 seconds.
Amazon Echo Studio reset
The Amazon Echo Studio is the most advanced smart speaker in terms of audio quality among Amazon’s Echo devices.
To reset this device you need to:
- press and hold the Volume button – and the Mute button for 20 seconds;
- wait for the light ring to switch off and on again;
- now you can proceed with a new configuration of the device.
Reset Echoes with Screens (Echo Show, Echo Show 5, Echo Show 8, Echo Show 10 and Echo Spot)
In the case of Amazon devices with screens the recovery procedure is the same for everyone. So we’ll cover them together in one paragraph.
If you want to do a reset while keeping the connection to other smart devices home here are the simple steps:
- access the settings menu, using the voice command “Alexa, go to settings”, or by swiping your finger from top to bottom and then pressing the gear icon;
- then press on “Device options “ and on the item “Reset to factory settings“(Or, if available, on that”Reset to factory settings, but keep the connections of smart home devices “);
- then you can confirm by pressing the “>” which will appear on the device screen;
- finally you can reconfigure the Echo via the Alexa app.
Instead, if you want to carry out a full reset that also deletes the devices here is the simple procedure, just:
- keep pressed for 15 seconds on the off microphone key (the one characterized by the icon with the microphone crossed out) and up that volume down (characterized by the minus symbol);
- When the Amazon logo will appear on the screen the reset will be successful and you can release the buttons;
- finally, from the Alexa app you can proceed with the reconfiguration.
Reset Echo Auto
If you need to reset the Amazon Echo Auto, which allows you to use the devices with Alexa even in the car, here are the simple steps to perform:
- press the Mute button (the one characterized by the icon with the microphone crossed out);
- press and hold the Action button for 15 seconds until Alexa confirms that the reset is in progress and wait for a blinking orange light to appear in the light bar;
- at this point you can proceed with a new configuration.
Reset Amazon Echo Flex
The Amazon Echo Flex is the handiest device of the family, consisting of a mini speaker with integrated plug that allows you to have Alexa available in every corner of the house.
To reset the Echo Flex the procedure is very simple:
- press the Action button for 20 seconds, the LED will flash orange and then turn off;
- wait for the LED to turn blue and then orange;
- at this point the device is ready to be reconfigured.