Translator with CAMERA, by photo, English Spanish and more
– Take a look at these tips, tricks, and solution you can use to make your life much easier with your devices whenever problems arrive and complications which you may find difficult to deal with.
If you come across a text or image with text that you do not want to transcribe manually in a translator, you can focus it with the camera of the cell phone to see the translation on the screen instantly. In the same way if you have photos or images saved in the storage.
Instant translation using a camera was the purpose of WordLens, but Google bought and integrated this technology in its mobile applications that can be downloaded or fully used free. I’m talking about Google Translator and the «Google» application itself, which has surely already been installed on your Android. They are the best options right now to translate English to Spanish and other language pairs easily.
- Install Google Translate and open the app.
- Tap on the camera button.
- Point the camera at the English text.
- You will automatically and almost instantly see the translation into Spanish on the screen.
The great advantages of this tool are that you will be able to translate offline or WITHOUT internet (after downloading the supported languages from Menu> “Offline translation”), it automatically detects the source language and incorporates a instant image translator (for photos or images saved on your device). Another equally good application that has all these functionalities is Microsoft Translator.
- Open the application «Google«.
- Tap on the “Updates” button that is usually at the bottom.
- Click on the camera icon.
- Finally, on the camera screen, tap the “Translation” button and focus the image. If it doesn’t work, check that the target language is correct.
On some devices you can also access this function by pressing and holding the Home button. After skipping the Google assistant you may see the “Updates” button at the bottom.
Obviously, the good thing about Lens is that it is a camera translator that works WITHOUT downloading an additional app. However, you must be online or connected to the Internet to generate the translation (there is no “offline” mode as in the previous case).
- With both utilities you can not only translate from English to Spanish, but from multiple languages such as German, French, Russian, chino O Japanese or even Arab. You can choose between 88 source languages up to more than 100 target languages.
- They automatically detect the language in front of them and translate to the chosen language.
- Google uses a technology called «Neural translation machine»Which works quite well, but to make the most of it and get the best translations, reduce errors, or avoid getting meaningless phrases, make sure your mobile is online. Also keep the following in mind:
- Texts from books or texts with special styles may not translate well.
- The phrases or words to be translated should be large and well lit, preferably.
- The translated text must be aligned with the top of the cell phone screen and from left to right.
- Unfortunately there is no translator with online camera, that you can use from the mobile browser or from a PC. The closest thing to this is the motor OCR de Yandex, to translate images online. On the other hand, the web version of Google Translate allows you to translate documents.
More information: Official support page
How to TRANSLATE the screen with this translator for Android
3 applications to identify objects by photos or with the camera
Google allows you to read QR codes with the cell phone camera