RX 580 Dual Mining Hashrate: MSI Afterburner settings/ Overclocking- In this article, we will consider the operation of the Radeon RX 570 video card from AMD on different cryptocurrency mining algorithms. First, let’s analyze the Sapphire NITRO + Radeon RX 580 Limited Edition. Today this card can be considered the best from Sapphire. The card is based on the GPU Polaris 20. It is similar in architecture to the Polaris 10, but its structure is more optimized.
A distinctive feature of the video card is a higher stock clock frequency among other models of the RX 580 line. It is worth noting the presence of spare fans, which, although they are reliable, will not be superfluous, as they say. The video card has the most efficient cooling system, even in comparison with the similar Sapphire RX 480 card, which was new in the past, and it is not even worth comparing with earlier versions of devices. And of course, let’s highlight the price of the video card, which is higher than that of the previous model.
After analyzing the current prices for video cards, we conclude that in 2021 the mining of crypto tokens using the GPU is more profitable in the form of cloud mining than buying and installing our own equipment. Cloud mining has at least two significant advantages relative to the physical: a flexible scale of initial investment and the absence of the need to maintain equipment.
How much can you earn
First of all, the Ethash algorithm is suitable for mining on AMD video cards. This algorithm is more tailored for these video cards. Equihash (and other algorithms) can also be mined on AMD video cards, but it will bring fewer coins (mining with this algorithm is better on Nvidia video cards).
For example, at the current exchange rate (as of February 16, 2021) 1 Msi RX 580 Gaming X 8GB video card will bring:
Ethereum (ETH) ~ $ 2.15 per day. 0.0026 coins in 24 hours. Zencash (ZEN) ~ $ 1.64 per day. 0.0431 coins in 24 hours.
But if you want to mine, for example, a Zencash (ZEN) coin, then the most profitable is to use the “pseudo mining” method. That is, to mine Ethereum (ETH), sell it immediately on the exchange and buy Zencash (ZEN) with the proceeds.
Thus, per day you receive 0.0026 ETH coins, sell them on the exchange and buy 0.0539 ZEN coins for the money received. Thus, you get a profit (more ZEN coins) 0.0539-0.0431 = 0.0108 when you mine ETH than if you mined ZEN at once.
Mining ETH Solo
RX 580 Dual Mining Hashrate: Mining performance
|MH / s (stock / overclocking)
|21/30 (MH / s)
|560/630 (Kh / s)
|13 / 16.39 (MH / s)
|16/18 (MH / s)
|4 / 5.6 (MH / s)
|510/580 (MH / s)
|13 / 15.5 (MH / s)
|5400/5500 (Kh / s)
|1080/1140 (MH / s)
|97/115 (MH / s)
|800/840 (MH / s)
Graphics core frequency.
The video card has several modes of operation. Depending on the load, it can change the clock frequency of the core.
We need to fix a constant value of 1150 MHz for mining on the Dagger Hashimoto algorithm , if we want to profitably mine Ether . We have lowered the frequency to save power and stable overclocking of the RAM. You also need to copy 1150 to the last few thresholds in the “GPU” table, as shown in the screenshot.
What coins can be mined
For mining cryptocurrency on an RX series video card, the Ethash algorithm is most suitable.
Coins mined on RX 580
|Ethereum, EthereumClassic Ellaism, Metaverse, Expanse, Krypton, Ubiq, Soilcoin, Shift, Pirl, Musicoin
|Zclassi, Zcash, Zencash, BitcoinGold, Komodo, Hush, BitcoinZ
|Crowdcoin, Feathercoin, GoByte, Halcyon, Innova, Orbitcoin, Vivo, Phoenixcoin
Setting up MSI Afterburner for mining: overclocking, downvolting, cooling
Msi Afterburner is designed to manage Nvidia and AMD graphics cards. Its main features are as follows: controlling the frequency of the GPU and memory, changing the supply voltage, adjusting the coolers of the video card, taking data about the state of the video card from the sensors and displaying them on the screen.
Also, the program, originally aimed at gamers, allows you to record videos and take screenshots. The software is indispensable for the miner, with its help it is easy to optimize video cards for long-term operation with minimal wear and tear and power consumption, or to overclock them to get maximum return in a short time.
The program allows you to manage a group of video cards, and save up to five different profiles with settings. The software is free.
In this review, we will tell you where to download and how to properly configure MSI Afterburner for cryptocurrency mining.
This is the mining of two different coins at once.
The main thing to understand is that you cannot mine 2 coins of the same algorithm. For example, you will not be able to mine ether and ether classic (or the rest of the coins of this algorithm) on the Ethash algorithm.
But you can mine coins in this combination:
- Ethash + Blake (2s)
- Ethash + Equihash
- Ethash + Blake (14r)
- Ethash + keccak
With the release of ASIC under the Blake (14r) algorithm, the mining (by GPU) of such coins as Decred (DCR) is coming to naught.
This is due to the enormous complexity and low production volume of these coins.
Pros and cons of rx580 dual mining
For example, you want to mine Ethereum (ETH) + Verge-Blake (2s) without losing power per ether. In this case, the best option is to give the Verge-Blake (2s) power in the amount of 35%.
The result is the following:
Ethereum – 28 MH/s Verge – 5697 MH/s
Plus dual in this case:
- You do not lose the mining power of the main coin
- You get an extra coin
- The card in this type of maning gets very hot. It is ideal for cold seasons with good airflow. In warm weather (or in a closed, non-cooling room), the temperature can reach 76 and above degrees Celsius for the GPU.
How to overclock MSI Afterburner graphics card?
Using the AF app, you can adjust:
- Memory and kernel frequency.
- Cooler rotation speed.
- Power consumption limit.
- Core voltage.
After installation, open the program as administrator, and make sure that it correctly displays all video cards in the rig.
By default, the panel will display the parameters of the first graphics accelerator. If all cards are of the same model, you don’t have to configure msi afterburner overclocking for each of them separately.
The settings for the first map will be applied to the rest. However, if you want to set the frequencies of each device separately, click the gear-shaped button on the left below the Fan Speed bar to open the settings menu, and uncheck the box next to Synchronize settings of the same GPUs .
In the same window, you can unlock the voltage control and expand the overclocking parameters. To avoid malfunctions, the last option is not recommended when setting up mining farms assembled from radically different models of video cards. Now let’s start configuring msi afterburner for mining. We start with Core Clock and Memory Clock.
Important ! The parameters should be changed gradually by no more than 5-10 points. A sharp change in the memory and core frequency will lead to a freeze, a restart, a driver crash, and, possibly, to a breakdown of the video card itself.
The easiest way is to first search for the parameters recommended for this GPU model on thematic forums and set them up before launching. If the result does not suit you, or you do not find the information you need, select the frequencies yourself. Just keep in mind that memory from different manufacturers, for example Hynix or Samsung, can be installed on the same model, and then the overclocking parameters will differ slightly.
Comparison of MSI with an analog line of graphics cards
Difference between 580 and 570 and between 8 and 4 Gb version
In mining, the difference between these video cards is almost minimal.
- 580 will give out 2-3 MH / s more (on the Ethash algorithm) than 570, but at the same time it will cost much more.
- A plus in buying this video card will be a noticeably higher total number of MH / s if you have a lot of rigs.
- It will also be easier to sell such a card in the future. Cons: in dual it loses 1-2 MH / s, in contrast to 570.
- The difference between 4 Gb and 8 Gb is identical to the described difference between 570 and 580.
- MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor
- MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X Plus
– is the cheapest representative of its MSI counterparts.
Its advantages are that it keeps frequencies just as well. Gives out 30 MH / s in overclocking. Cons – it gets very hot, without additional airflow, the temperature reaches 72-76 degrees Celsius.
In a farm, such a card will have to be placed at a large distance from each other (about 15 cm), so that they do not overheat and do not drop frequencies. Additional airflow will not be enough, which will lead to more noise. The most unsuccessful card for mining from the MSI 580 line.
Gaming X Plus
– Strongly different from its counterparts (580 MSI): it is thicker (more massive heatsink), heavier.
Pros – it has more overclocking from the factory, it stably keeps overclocking at 30 MH / s, it is the coldest card in the MSI 580 line with a mining temperature of 55 degrees Celsius on the GPU.
Cons – a little more noisy, more expensive than their counterparts.
Radeon RX 580 review
The Radeon RX 400 series was a great commercial success for AMD’s graphics division. After four years of anxious waiting, GPU makers got their hands on a new generation of 14/16 nm FinFET technology, and AMD, which this time chose GlobalFoundries as its chip contractor, introduced the Radeon RX 460, RX 470 and RX 480, covering the low and mid performance segments.
With attractive prices, AMD was able to compete seriously with the GeForce 10 series from NVIDIA in the corresponding price categories, but from a technical point of view, the Polaris family did not quite satisfy enthusiasts, since rival AMD was much better at using the capabilities of the new process technology in terms of energy efficiency and frequency potential of the GPU.
Rumors that AMD is working on a deep revision of the Polaris line arose back in October last year – just a couple of months after the latest member of the 400 series – the Radeon RX 460 – went on sale.
Indeed, the Radeon 500 series, according to the manufacturer, does not just consist of relabeled Radeon 400 models, but is equipped with second-generation Polaris crystals, in which an optimized design is combined with the matured 14nm FinFET technology.
The new Radeon line is represented by four graphics cards with the indexes RX 550, RX 560, RX 570 and RX 580, among which the flagship model based on the Polaris 20 GPU is the first to be tested.
BIOS firmware and timings for msi rx 580
Below are the timings for the MSI 580 Gaming X graphics card.
Select the memory of your graphics card.
- Samsung Стабильные 777000000000000022CC1C00CEE55C46C0590E1532CD66090060070014051420FA8900A00300000012123442C3353C19 Экстрим 777000000000000022CC1C00AD615B41C0570E152DCB7409006007000B031420FA8900A00300000010123A46DB354019 777000000000000022CC1C00AD615C41C0590E152ECC8608006007000B031420FA8900A00300000010122F3FBA354019 1750/2000Mhz Mix тайминг 777000000000000022CC1C00106A6D4DD0571016B90D060C006AE70014051420FA8900A0030000001E123A46DB354019 1625/2000Mhz Mix тайминг 777000000000000022CC1C00CE616C47D0570F15B48C250B006AE7000B031420FA8900A0030000001E123A46DB354019
- Hynix HYNIX только 8gb — модели H5GC8H24MJ и H5GQ8H24MJ 777000000000000022AA1C00B56A6D46C0551017BE8E060C006AE6000C081420EA8900AB030000001B162C31C0313F17 Hynix только 4gb — модели H5GC4H24AJ 999000000000000022559D0010DE5B4480551312B74C450A00400600750414206A8900A00200312010112D34A42A3816
- Elpida Stable 777000000000000022AA1C00315A5B36A0550F15B68C1506004082007C041420CA8980A9020004C01712262B612B3715
- Micron Стабильные 777000000000000022AA1C0073626C41B0551016BA0D260B006AE60004061420EA8940AA030000001914292EB22E3B16
What drivers to use for mining coins
For mining cryptocurrency, it is best to use the official Blockchain drivers dated August 23.
Or you can download the latest version of the drivers for your video card, but you will need to enable “calculation mode” in them to get the speed of 30 or more Mh / s.
After installing the driver and firmware of the video cards, they will need to be patched using atikmdag patcher 1.4.6.
Temperatures and internals
The MSI RX 580 is pretty easy to open. First you need to unscrew a couple of screws on the back to detach the thermo-functional back panel of the card, then remove four screws to get to the chip. Turning over the card, we see that three wires are responsible for connecting the fans and LEDs, and two more screws are installed on the rear panel.
At the same time, the warranty seal is opened and we observe Samsung memory modules (K4G80325FB-HC). OnSemi M3816N power mosfets are used as part of a 6-phase VRM. (power phase)
Overclocking RX 580
Before we start talking about overclocking RX 580 / RX 570 video cards, we first need to explain what they are.
These graphics chips are nothing more than re-labeled RX 480 / RX 470 graphics processes with completely identical technical characteristics, in which, thanks to a modified process technology, they raised the operating frequency by an average of 70 megahertz and the maximum operating voltage by 0.5 volts to ensure stable operation.
Thrill-seekers even flash the RX 480 graphics cards with the BIOS from the RX 580, which in most cases works fine at higher frequencies. In fact, overclocking the RX 580 / RX 570 overclocking process is similar to the RX 480 / RX 470, just remember that they can run 70 megahertz faster.
The easiest way to overclock your RX 580 / RX 570 graphics cards is to use WattMan, which is installed with the Radeon Software Crimson Edition ReLive Graphics Driver.
You can find WattMan in Radeon Settings, where you need to first go to Games, then Global Settings and click on Global WattMan.
Before you start overclocking, you need to know a few things:
- WattMan does not get along well with other utilities for overclocking graphics cards, due to which the settings made can get lost, the wrong voltage, frequency and maximum power consumption level can be set. But at the same time, you can safely use WattMan and third-party monitoring programs for overclocking.
- The heat dissipation of RX 580 / RX 570 video cards is more influenced by the voltage on the graphics chip than by the operating frequency.
- What WattMan calls the memory voltage is actually the memory controller supply voltage and has practically no effect on memory overclocking.
- GPU voltage cannot be lower than memory voltage. If the voltage on the processor is set below the voltage of the memory controller, it will automatically rise to the voltage of the memory.
- BIOS, when increasing the processor frequency, automatically increases the voltage on the processor, if you use “Voltage Control” in automatic mode. Therefore, when you start overclocking the video card, switch the “Voltage Control” to manual mode, then the “BIOS” will not be engaged in independent activity, but will use the voltage specified in WattMan.
I already wrote about this in the article: Overclocking Nvidia and AMD Video Cards for Mining Efficiency
Internal cooling system
The card is equipped with 3 square-shaped copper heat pipes up to 8 millimeters thick, which pass through a medium-thick nickel-plated copper heatsink.
In the VRM area (the area where the power phases are located) there is an additional heatsink.
The heatsink concentrates a fairly large amount of heat on its surface, so two large coolers are installed above the heatsink, dissipating heat from the entire surface of the card.
* M1 – GPU temperature Temperatures of various parts of the video card side view
Temperatures of various parts of the video card top view